Recruitment of an individual consultant for the elaboration of the methodological guide of the harmonized index of consumer prices in the ECOWAS region.03 Mar, 2023
HARMONIZING AND IMPROVING STATISTICS IN WEST AFRICA PROJECT
(ECOWAS -HISWAP) – (P169265)
NOTICE OF EXPRESSION OF INTEREST N° 002/ECOWAS/DRS/HISWA/2023
Start date: 06 – March -2023 Deadline: 20 – March -2023
Title: Recruitment of an individual consultant for the elaboration of the methodological guide of the harmonized index of consumer prices in the ECOWAS region.
Within the framework of the implementation of the West Africa Harmonization and Improvement of Statistics Project (HISWA) financed by the World Bank, the ECOWAS Commission is committed to harmonizing the standards and methods of statistical price production in order to take into account the new concepts introduced in 2018.
Specifically, the main tasks to be carried out by the consultant are as follows:
- Review the current methodological framework used in the compilation of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for all Member States;
- Articulate the new COICOP 2018 and reflect the changes recommended by the Statistics Division of the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, in the Methodological Guide to the ECOWAS Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices for adaptation in the ECOWAS region;
- Develop a new general and detailed structure with a description of the 13 COICOP functions to be adopted by Member States;
- Draft a methodological guide for the ECOWAS Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices with the contribution of Member States for validation;
- Participate in meetings of the CPI Regional Technical Committee and the CPI Technical Working Group for the validation and adoption of the Methodological Guide of the ECOWAS Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices.
The ECOWAS Commission through the Directorate of Statistics and Research invites interested, eligible and qualified candidates to express their interest in providing the services described in the TOR for this assignment. Interested consultants must provide information (documentation in English, French or Portuguese in world and PDF format) indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, references concerning the execution of similar contracts, copies of diplomas, attestations, certifications, etc.).
Deliverables must be prepared in an official ECOWAS language (French, English or Portuguese). The methodological guide of the harmonized consumer price index in the ECOWAS region is harmonized and takes into account the new concepts introduced in 2018.
– A concept note on how the work should be done;
– a new general and detailed structure with description of the 13 COICOP divisions;
– a draft Methodological Guide for the ECOWAS Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices for comments before validation;
– a final version of the Methodological Guide of the ECOWAS Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices after validation in both electronic and paper versions.
III. Consultant Profile:
Due to the nature of the assignment, the consultant must have:
- A Master’s degree in statistics, economics or a related field of study from a recognized university, with more than ten (10) years of professional experience in price statistics;
- A solid understanding of the harmonization of the Consumer Price Index methodology;
- Mastery of sampling and index calculation techniques;
- Excellent knowledge of CPI compilations and the design of the Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices methodological guide in the region is required.
Applications will be evaluated using the following evaluation criteria and scoring scales :
|N°||Evaluation criteria Scoring scale||Scoring scale|
|I||General qualification (education and general experience) 40 points||40 points|
|I-1||Master’s degree in statistics, economics or related field of study.||15|
|I-2||More than ten (10) years of professional experience in price statistics.||25|
|II||Specific experience related to the mission||60 points|
|II-1||Solid understanding of the harmonization of the consumer price index methodology||20|
|II-2||Mastery of index sampling and calculation techniques||20|
|II-3||Excellent knowledge of CPI compilations and the design of the harmonized consumer price index methodology guide in the region||20|
|TOTAL SCORES||100 Points|
The minimum qualifying score is 70 points out of 100
NB : The prerequisite and mandatory conditions to be fulfilled are the presentation of certificates of service rendered concerning the execution of similar contracts relating to activities, studies and/or exercises related to the mission. Similar services not supported by legible copies of the cover sheets and signatures of executed contracts and certificates of completion will not be considered in the evaluation.
The total duration of the consultant’s assignment is three (03) months from the date indicated in the notification of the service order for the start of the assignment.
- Selection Method:
The recruitment of the consultant will be done following the method of Selection of Individual Consultants in accordance with the Procurement Regulations for Borrowers Seeking Investment Project Financing (IPF), July 2016 version, revised October 2017 and August 2018.
The selection procedure will be by Competitive Bidding and will consist of two phases:
- A phase of pre-selection of candidates by establishing a short list of the most qualified candidates for the mission in light of the analysis of the CVs received;
- A phase of analysis of the technical and financial proposal of the short-listed candidate with the highest score. The selected candidate will be invited to negotiations for the award of the contract.
- Constitution and Submission of Application Packages:
- Interested applicants shall provide a file consisting of:
- A cover letter;
- An updated curriculum vitae;
- Certified copies of diplomas and certificates;
- A copy of contracts or certificates for previous services.
Interested consultants may obtain additional information at the address mentioned below, during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The address for submission of applications is as follows
Applications can be sent to the following address by email: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Mahamadou YAHAYA: Director of Research and Statistics (PHASAO Project Coordinator): email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org , Baba NDIAYE : PHASAO Project Manager, email@example.com ; Emile Joseph FOULAH, Procurement Specialist (SPM) of the PHASAO Project: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Gaspard MADJI, Expert Macro-Economist, email@example.com ; no later than 20 March 2023 at 13:00 GMT.
Dr Mahamadou YAHAYA