Recruitment of a communication assistant for the RCU20 Sep, 2023
ECOWAS REGIONAL ELECTRICITY ACCESS AND BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE TECHNOLOGY PROJECT (BEST – P167569)
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
Recruitment of a communication assistant for the RCU
Closing Date: 4th, October 2023 at 5:00 pm GMT
Contract: Lump Sum
Status: Local recruitment
Project reference No.: P167569
- In order to improve the population access to electricity, ECOWAS is working for the establishment of a regional electricity market through the development of power generation and transmission infrastructure, and its intensifying initiative related to the access to electricity. Thus, ECOWAS initiated, with the support of World Bank, the Regional Electricity Access Project (REAP) to be implemented in the form of a series of projects to gradually cover 11 countries including 9 of the ECOWAS.
- Phase 1 of the REAP, entitled ECOWAS-REAP, covers The Gambia, Guinea Bissau and Mali. The objective is to allow 2.04 million people to benefit from electricity services. The funding is 225 million USD. Components of ECOWAS-REAP are (i) Design, supply and installation of the electricity distribution infrastructures, (ii) supervision of the construction and technical advisory and (iii) project coordination and technical assistance. The project has created National Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in each country involved and a Regional Coordination Unit (RCU) housed in the Directorate of Energy and Mines.
- Then, Phase 2 of the REAP, entitled Regional Electricity Access and Battery Energy Storage Technology Project (BEST) started preparation in 2022. It covers Mauritania, Niger, and Senegal for the “Access” component and Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, and Niger for the “Battery” component. The objective is to increase people’s access to electricity and to contribute to stability and better energy flow in the WAPP transmission system. The funding is 465 million USD. All components of BEST are (i) Design, supply and installation of electricity distribution infrastructure, (ii) design, supply and installation of BEST equipment, (iii) supervision of the construction and technical advisory, and (iv) project coordination and technical assistance. National Project Implementation Units (PIU) have also been created in each country involved.
- The RCU set up for ECOWAS-REAP was also entrusted to coordinate the BEST project, and it has become imperative to reinforce the RCU and to improve the project communication. In line with the above, ECOWAS Commission, in relation to the World Bank, plans to recruit a Communication Assistant for the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU).
- The consultant’s services (“the services”) include the following, as indicated below during One (01) year period extensible based on satisfactory performance, including a probation period of three (03) months with lump sum contract.
- The Communication Assistant responsibility will be to ensure the visibility, formulation and implementation of the communication and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of ECOWAS-REAP and BEST projects with the media, the public, the beneficiary’s population and within projects stakeholders. Activities to be performed by him include but are not limited to the following:
- Formulate and implement ECOWAS-REAP and BEST projects publications and communications policy;
- Provides awareness on ECOWAS-REAP and BEST projects through content development, production and dissemination of press releases, publications of articles and sharing of project knowledge and successes;
- Provide communication support to the project events and activities by coordinating the preparation and confection of visibility materials and by liaising with media outlets to ensure that appropriate information and messages are reaching public;
- Support to RCU and PIU staff in identifying, documenting and drafting good practices and lessons learned and develop success stories on project achievements;
- Create ECOWAS-REAP and BEST social platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.) and ensure that all projects’ activities are properly communicated;
- Design promotional material on the projects, including pamphlets, t-shirt, hat, pins, biro, polos, videos,
- Provide support to organization of workshops, seminars, training and delivery of outputs (products);
- Maintain information database and photo library in liaise with ECOWAS Communication Directorate;
- Respond effectively to any other tasks assigned by the RCU Coordinator and undertake any other activities, as instructed by ECOWAS Director of Energy and Mines.
- Qualifications skills and experience
Qualifications and skills
- At least a Master degree from reputable university in Mass Communications & Journalism, Media Studies, Communications Strategy, Development Communication or relevant discipline;
- Good skills in information technology and communication tools;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team;
- Experienced computer user, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite;
- Excellent written presentation and reporting skills.
- At least five years of relevant experience in managing communication and providing communication packages.
- At least two years’ experience with international organization or project funded by international donors.
- Familiar with communication strategy and policy development preparation;
- Experience in performing graphic design.
- Experience with World Bank or African Development Bank funding project is an asset
- Language requirement
Candidates must speak and write fluent French and English.
- A Candidate will be selected in accordance with the Selection of Individual Consultant set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers (Fourth Edition November 2020).
- The application document should be composed of: Update CV, cover letter and support documents scanned in one pdf file.
- Further information can be obtained only by mail at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org; with copy to email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ;email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .
- Expressions of interest must be delivered latest by 4th, October 2023 at 5:00 pm GMT at firstname.lastname@example.org; copying email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, ddegny@int, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged. Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for the rest of the procedure.