Accountant02 Feb, 2017
WEST AFRICAN HEALTH ORGANISATION
Job Title : Accountant
Grade : P3//P4
Annual Salary : USD 36,901 USD – 44,469/ USD 44,328 – USD 51,637
Status : Permanent
Reports to : Head of Administration and Finance -RCSDC
Location : Abuja, Nigeria
Reference : ECW/WAHO-CDC/6
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration and Finance the incumbent shall be responsible for all book-keeping, supervision of Accounts Assistants; ensure the proper usage of funds, bank reconciliations and postings into the general and personal ledgers. Be in charge of salaries, asset register and ensure proper filing of all supporting documents on receipts and payments.
Descriptions of main duties and responsibilities
The incumbent shall:
1. Be responsible for all book-keeping and directly supervise the Accounts Assistants in a manner as to ensure proper segregation of duties.
2. Exercise close supervision of the Accounts Assistant responsible for treasury by conducting surprise checks on the books and funds held at predetermined time so as to ensure proper and duly authorised usage of funds.
3. Be responsible for all bank reconciliations on a monthly basis.
4. Be in charge of postings into the general ledger and personal ledgers.
5. Be in charge of the Centre’s Asset Register.
6. Be responsible for accounting for all donor funds received and the preparation of Report for Donors as may be required.
7. Supervise the posting of all returns received from programme Officers.
8. Ensure the proper filing of all supporting documents relating to Donor Funds;
9. Prepare the Draft-Final Account for the Centre for each financial year.
10. Personally be in charge of postings into the general and personal ledgers.
11. The Accountant shall be responsible for additional tasks such as: review transactions before data can be entered by Accounts Assistants, and request the authorization of the Head of Administration & Finance before undertaking changes in the accounts.
12. Ensure accounting for project funds provided by Partners.
13. Perform any other duties assigned to him/her from time to time by the Head of Administration and Finance.
1. Holds at least a good first degree in Accounting or Business Administration from a recognized university.
2. A professional qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, ICA would be an advantage.
3. Have a minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience in accounting.
4. Possession of higher degree would reduce the required professional experience to three (3) years;
5. The incumbent must have excellent computer skills. Knowledge of an accounting software such as SAP will be an added advantage.
6. Have proven knowledge of IPSAS will also be an additional advantage.
7. Have proven leadership skills, ability to work in a team, create and maintain good interpersonal relations.
8. Be able to work under pressure in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team.
9. Work collaboratively with colleagues on assignments, fulfilling responsibilities
10. Keep abreast with new developments in own occupation/profession;
11. Actively seek to develop oneself professionally and personally.
Candidates must not be over 50 (fifty) years of age at the point of recruitment.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Community; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.