Accountant Assistant02 Feb, 2017
WEST AFRICAN HEALTH ORGANISATION
Job Title : Accounting Assistant
Grade : G4/G5
Annual Salary: USD 98955 – USD 3355./ USD 12465. – USD16575
Status : Permanent
Reports to : Accountant – RCSDC
Location : Abuja, Nigeria
Reference : ECW/WAHO-CDC/7
Reporting directly to the Accountant, a major responsibility of the Accounting Assistant shall be on managing the daily, weekly, and monthly financial activities that are required for the proper review, approval and payment expenditures and other commitments of the Centre.
He/she will be responsible for generating accurate, timely and complete financial information each month/quarter as required by the financial regulations as to the extent to which expenditures meet budget and any variances achieved, as well as explanations for these variances.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Preparation of entries for the settlement of accounts payable and other expenditures.
2. Commitment of advances and expenditures, and payments on contracts in accordance with the financial regulations and procedures.
3. Implement budgetary control procedures and ensure that expenditures approved for payment have been provided for in the Budget
4. Ensure that Accounting Codes/Budgetary Codes are adhered to.
5. Ensure that over expenditure on any Budget Heads are checked.
6. Prepare quarterly budgetary control.
7. preparation and maintenance of financial and budgetary records and reports
8. Ensure prompt and accurate recording of financial data and timely reconciliation of accounts.
9. Ensure the proper filing and safe keeping of all supporting documents for review by both external and internal auditors.
10. Vetting of financial documents such as invoices, memorandum on expenditure request, and request for payment on contract, giving appropriate explanation as applicable and referring them for approval and/or further action.
11. Prepare, analyze and evaluate information from the financial records and provide data and assistance to superiors on issues relevant to improvement of the financial operation.
12. Ensure the preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly report of Accounts.
13. Ensure conformity with applicable policies and regular preparations of such documents.
14. Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
1. A National Diploma in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business Administration.
2. Minimum of four (5) years professional experience
3. A part qualification of a formal professional Accountancy designation e.g. (ICA, ACCA, CIMA etc) would be an advantage.
4. Operational knowledge of at least one major Financial Accounting Software
5. Ability to work independently with a high level of responsibility, and with minimal supervision
6. Excellent knowledge of Financial Accounting principles and concepts including the International Accounting Standards. Knowledge of International Public Accounting Standards (IPSAS) would be an advantage.
7. Strong knowledge of Financial Reporting, analysis and financial control techniques.
8. Professional experience of donor accounting, disbursement and reporting procedures would be an advantage
9. Ability to set and meet deadlines including strong ability to manage multiple tasks to completion at the same time.
10. Excellent communication skills (spoken and written) and interpersonal skills (team player)
11. Must be computer literate.
Candidates must not be over 50 (fifty) years of age at the point of recruitment.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Community; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.